Friday, September 17, 2010

New Rear-View

Nowhere else in the world are females as obsessed with their butts as they are in North America. Our butts are literally the butt of numerous jokes, some of which I find hysterical and some of which are just plain bad. In my case, the truth is painful. I do indeed have Dutch Butt disease. Although it is annoying and hereditary, (Thanks Grandma!) it is not terminal. It often causes me to have rear-end collisions and what I mean by that is that my rear-end is almost always at fault for knocking something off a table or bumping into someone that most would consider to be at an acceptable distance away. Wouldn’t it be nice if I had one of those built in censors they put in the new cars? You know, the ones that show you how close you are to something behind you and beep when you’re just about to hit it? That would be stellar! No more embarrassing apologize or red faces, just a sweet smile as I passed by without incident. We have rear-view mirrors in cars for reasons. Sometimes it’s necessary for us to look back so we can adjust as we go forward.

For some time now, I have made it a habit not to look at my backside while getting dressed. My thoughts go like this: “It’s back there and I don’t see it so it doesn’t matter!” This kind of thinking is what has caused some of my weight problems today. It’s called denial. I had the same feeling about back fat and its unsightliness. I only had to confront the issue when I could no longer breathe properly after putting on my bra. Genetically speaking, I already have a freakishly large back (Thanks, Mom!) and have to use a bra extender, (available at the fabric store for anyone who is interested) but when my bra extended needed a bra extender, I had to face the facts. My back fat was taking on a life of its own! The rearview does matter and effects the the way I function. Yes, it’s embarrassing to say this aloud, but if I never get real with myself, nothing will ever change. I will always be fat and I’m not willing to go on being like this.

The Apostle Paul is one of my favorite biblical authors. Although in Philippians 3, he was talking about a completely different subject (losing everything dear to him to follow hard after Christ), his words and their applications are good ones. Early on in the chapter, he says that we should not put any confidence in the flesh (specifically the good parts of our lives) but we should realize that it’s not all about us. It’s about Christ in us, the hope of glory! (Colossians 1:27) Paul is saying that he’s had all the wrong motives for feeling superior to others, and for being in denial about his faults and shortcomings. He’s aware that he’s not where he should be or wants to be, but he’s determined not to dwell on the reality of what is past and keep going forward. He’s not saying don’t look back. Instead, he’s saying not to dwell on our past accomplishments or failures but to focus on the goal ahead while keeping our eyes on the Source of our strength and accomplishment. He said it this way in Philippians 3: 12-14
“Not that I have already obtained all of this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take ahold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do; Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.”

Everyone has something in their rear-view mirror that they would rather not look at. They have areas of their past that are effecting them in negative ways, but it doesn't have to be that way. I say, look at them and let them be the motivation you need to make the change! You can do it...No if, ands, or buts about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment